Dogs with Fleas

The most common flea for dogs is Ctenocephalides felis (cat flea). Your puppy may contract a flea from another animal, its mother or the environment of the house which has larvae/pupae present.

Fleas are small parasites that live on the skin of your puppy, they feed on blood. One flea can lay up to 200 eggs before it dies. These eggs fall off the pets coat onto the carpets, floors or furniture. The eggs then develop in larvae and then in turn into pupae. The pupae will then become adult fleas continuing on the cycle. The pupae can remain dormant in the environment of your home for a long time and will only hatch when the environment is suitable (vibrations, movements, heat etc)
These triggers of movement, heat and vibration are all produced by your puppy playing, moving around and also by central heating within our homes, our walking around, hoovering etc.

Adult fleas only represent 5% of the total flea life cycle, meaning that the other 95% is in your home carpets, beds, seats etc
Fleas can be hard to spot on your puppy, they are small and very fast. You might spot flea dirt (faeces), this is small black/brown specks in the coat. This is a sign of an active infection.

Fleas cause multiple problems – they cause irritation to your puppy, skin rashes/lumps from bites, allergies to flea bites causing hair loss and biting self. The fleas feed on your puppies’ blood which in a young puppy can cause weakness and anaemia. Fleas also transmit tapeworm when they feed on your pup.  Family members within the house might get small red itchy bite marks.
What can you do? Prevention is better than cure.

Prevention – flea treatment, tablets every 3 months or spot-on once monthly. Again there are many products available - tablets, spot-ons, sprays, shampoos, collars etc. Unfortunately again a lot of these products have poor efficacy and it is not uncommon for us to see puppies that have been treated using some of these products to still have fleas.

Here in Rutland we use very effective spot-ons to prevent flea infestation and will kill any fleas your pup gets within 24 hours. We also have flea tablets as an alternative..

The vet/nurse will be able to give you advice and again we have a free weigh and flea treatment service by our trained staff.

If your dog gets fleas then we can help
We recommend a flea tablet or spot-on treatment to kill the fleas.


Free Initial Consultation with one of our team
of nurses for All New Patients !!

Vets Merseyside | Vets UK | Rutland House Veterinary Hospital St Helens Merseyside

Pet Rememberance | Rutalnd House Veterinary Hospital.
vets merseyside | opening hours

Rutland House Veterinary Hospital

Monday-Friday: 8.00am-8pm
Saturday 9am-4pm
Sunday 10am-1pm

Evening Clinics

Consultation fee 50.00
Monday to Friday: 6.30pm - 8.00pm

Out Of Hours Emergency Service

Consultation fee 100.00
Monday to Friday: After 8.00pm
Saturday: After 4.00pm
Sunday: All Day
Bank Holidays: All day

Please ring 01744 853 520 for these appointments.

All prices include VAT


For our other branch opening times, please see "Our Branches" in main menu. Branch Opening times are listed on the left, below the map.

k-laser - Read More
Essential Care Plan - Read More
pet treatment packages | merseyside uk

kitten Vaccination | Kitten Health
Puppy Vaccination | Puppy Health
pet vaccinations
compulsory microchipping | Puppy microchipping
dog vaccinations | booster vaccinations

vets merseyside | vets St Helens | Rutland House Veterinary Hospital

pet food | pet supplies | pet medicines | delivery service

Subsidised neutering for dogs in conjunction with the Dogs Trust